Thursday, September 29, 2022

Is "rape" a "woman"'s subject?

So, recently I came across this news - "Even boys are not safe in Delhi..."

I have not been following news much since early 2020 when I started my MBA. And it's been the same till date. I don't follow news on TV anymore. Not just news, I stopped watching TV altogether. It feels too much and suffocating to take in. I have stopped reading newspaper as well. So, basically I've been more or less isolated from the world for the past 2.5 years. The only news I ever checked were the ones on social media or the ones popping up on my phone.

It's strange to realize that I stopped reading newspaper for the whole 2.5 years given the fact that I rarely missed my daily dose of newspaper before that. What's more strange is, I'm now quite OK with it and I'm able to go on fine with life that way. That's probably the power of habits we develop - good or bad, we become capable of sticking to them.

Anyways, that's not the point of this post. Let's come to THE POINT. So, I don't know if the news I was talking about became sensational or not, the way Nirbhaya's case had. At least, nobody around me talked about it in person, on WhatsApp or on social media.

So, I'm just wondering - is rape a woman's subject? If a boy/man is raped, the same crime that was ghastly when done to a girl/woman, is no more a crime enough? Are our gender equality proponents sleeping? Is the D&I consciousness of the society sleeping? And to top it, the women's panel had to take the case forward for cognizance? Is rape a woman's problem alone? I'm truly baffled! Period.

No comments: